Self-Help Information and Forms

The following information is available for citizens wanting to represent themselves in the Courts of Buncombe County. Representing yourself is called “pro se” representation.  The Bar recommends that you consult with an attorney regarding your specific situation.  The information provided here is general only and not intended to address all of the issues that could arise.

The forms below are available for download here, or by submitting a $5 money order or cashier’s check to the address below.

Absolute Divorce (revised 4.14.2016)


Custody - Initial Filing


Custody, Answer & Counterclaim


Pro Se Custody - Modification (revised 4.14.2016)


Minor Name Change (revised 10.13.15)


Adult Name Change (revised 10.13.15)


If you are unable to download and print these documents, we will mail them to you. Make sure to include your return address on your envelope, and let us know which packet you need. Your packet will be mailed to your return address within five days.

Mail your payment to: 28th JDB, P.O. Box 7391, Asheville, NC  28802

Additional forms and information about pro se representation are available at:

Administrative Office of the Courts Forms:

Rules of Civil Procedure:

Local Rules for Buncombe County Courts:

Legal Aid of NC Small Claims Information: